Wednesday, October 17, 2012

I Love Fall




 I love this time of year! The leaves change, we pull out our sweaters and boots and start thinking of all the wonderful things we can do with apples! Cinnamon and cloves come to mind, baked apples, apple crisp, and how about Apple Cinnamon Granola!

One of the things I missed when I started eating "clean" was granola. Store bought, and even homemade recipes, use rolled oats, which convert quickly to sugar because they are a broken down, processed food. Then, to make it worse, they are full of refined sugar...lots of it. So what was considered to be a healthy snack, turns out to be high in simple carbs and laden with refined sugar.





My cookbook, Delightfully Free, is not only free of gluten, dairy and refined sugar, but it is also free of rolled oats. So, when it comes to granola, there are four things to be delighted about! In my recipes only steel cut oats are used. I've got to say, it is very hard to find a granola, or a recipe for granola, that is made with steel cut oats and is refined sugar free.

That is one reason that I am so pleased to offer my new cookbook. In it, I share my secret of how to take healthy, whole steel cut oats and prepare them for baking. In Delightfully Free, my Oatmeal Cookies, Raisin Squares and two kinds of granola recipes use the real thing--steel cut oats. 






To tie these two healthy Fall favorites together, try my Apple Cinnamon Granola. As sweet and crunchy as mine is, it's also wholesome and low in natural sugar.  
 
~Tracy

About Delightfully Free: Delightfully Free is a gluten-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free cookbook of 141 recipes. It includes delicious resources for autism, celiac disease, diabetes, lactose intolerance, obesity and just plain healthy living. It contains 114 color photographs, 114 vegetarian or vegetarian compatible recipes, and 103 vegan or vegan compatible recipes.